For a small party of 6-8 people. This recipe can be doubled or tripled for a larger party, but you likely won’t need to double the sauces or cucumbers unless you want leftovers for a nice bahn mi sandwich or something.
Ingredients (all of them):
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 2 large heads of butter lettuce
- 1 bunch of scallions
- 1 bunch of cilantro (also known as Chinese Parsley)
- 4-5 limes
- 1 bag of julienned carrots or 3-4 large carrots to julienne
- 1 bag of bean sprouts
- 1 large English cucumber or 4-5 small Armenian or Chinese cucumbers
- Low sodium soy sauce (use gluten free soy sauce if you want it to be gluten free)
- fresh ginger
- Natural, creamy peanut butter
- fish sauce
- hoisin sauce
- garlic 3-4 cloves
- chili paste
- rice vinegar
Now I’ll break it down. Start with the pickled cucumbers because the brine needs time to cool down and the pickles need an hour or two to marinate. The brine can be made a day ahead.
Carefully peel each lettuce leaf off the heads of lettuce. Discard any damaged or brown leaves or parts of the leaves. Soak the lettuce leaves in a colander and drain them on a towel. Set the leaves out on a tray or large platter. If not serving right away, cover the leaves with a damp towel.
Lay everything else out in bowls, have the sauces out with some good drizzling spoons or tiny ladles and your main course is ready.
To round out the party add some veggies that can be nibbled on by little nibblers or grown ups, they can also be dipped in the sauces. Get a few cheeses, some chips, pretzels, and a bowl of fruit and you’re all set.